How to get
Those Spanish immigrants to America were known as Indians, who returned with a large amount of money. Precarious economic situation currently in Spain. Therefore, it is known as houses built by Indianos. These, they made constructions of a large houses imitating the colonial style from which it came.
In the case of Begur, the vast majority of Indianos came from Cuba and Puerto Rico, so many visitors are reminded of the old quarter of the city in Havana.
The characteristics of these constructions are:
- They were built of large size, as palauets.
- In the front of the house, there is a porch open to the outside.
- The houses would have to have gardens where they had palms, as they were considered a symbol of propriedad.
- Orchards in the south of the house.
- Decorated with colourful walls, painted with vivid colors and details reflecting the lifestyle of Cuba.Interior of the house decorated with luxurious furniture and paintings.
- Initials in the lintel of the owners ' door.
Nowadays there are more than fifteen houses, in which some of them can be visited and others have become hotels.
These would be the most important:
- Casa Térmens, built in 1869 by Santiago Mauri Carreras. The mouldings on the ground floor and the iron railings on the balconies stand out.
- Mas Carreras, built by José Carreras Frigola, was torn down where there was a XVI-century tower when the house was built.
- Pere Roger House, bought in 1859 by Pere Roger. Drawings and frescoes in colonial style are kept in the interior walls and ceilings.
- Casa Paco Font. It is considered the last house of Indianos built in Begur, dating from the early TWENTIETH century. It was owned by Francisco Font, who emigrated to Puerto Rico.